Four Auckland Islands and Bays have been renamed after it was officially recognised that the British Crown broke the rules of an 1840 treaty with the Maori, the indigenous people of New Zealand. The
English names of the islands may still be used but they will be officially known as the origional Maori names. The landmarks will now be known as Te Hauturu-o-Toi (resting place of the wind) for Little Barrier, Paepae-o-Tu for Bream Tail, Te Hawere-a-Maki for Goat Island and Te Kohuroa (many mists) for Matheson’s Bay The Treaty of Waitangi, which established British governance of New Zealand, was signed by representatives of the British Crown and Maori Chiefs from the north island of New Zealand. From the late 1960’s Maori’s began concentrating on breaches of the treaty by the Crown and in 1975 the Waitangi Tribunal was established as a permanent commission tasked with inquiring and researching breaches of the treaty.